We urge all anglers to release ALL fish they catch in the Credit River. The river cannot support harvest at the present time. CRAA, MNR, and many other partners are trying to build the fish population for all species and harvest hurts these efforts and future fishing. We especially urge release of all WILD fish including ALL Steelhead, Brown Trout, Brook Trout, Bass, and Atlantic Salmon.
Catch and Release!
Open Fishing Seasons (and locations):
Rainbow trout, brown trout and Pacific salmon:
- Highway 403 downstream to Lake Ontario. Open all year for rainbow trout (steelhead), brown trout and Pacific salmon. This includes Erindale Park and the river in southern Mississauga.
- From Highway 407 downstream to Britannia Road. Open the 4th Saturday in April to December 31 for rainbow trout (steelhead), brown trout and Pacific salmon.
- The whole Credit River. Opens the 4th Saturday in April to September 30 for rainbow trout (steelhead), brown trout and Pacific salmon.
Open areas 1 and 2 have been made possible by volunteers from the Credit River Anglers Association working with the MNR and the City of Mississauga for 20 years to open more water to fishing!
Closed Fishing Seasons (and locations):
These are fish Sanctuaries when NO FISHING is permitted:
- Old Baseline Road in Caledon downstream to Britannia Road in Mississauga: No fishing from January 1 to the Friday before the 4th Saturday in April.
- Britannia Road downstream to Highway 403: No Fishing from January 1 to the Friday before the 4th Saturday in April AND August 15th to December 31.
- Highway 9 in Orangeville downstream to Old Baseline Road: No fishing from January 1 to the Friday before the 4th Saturday in April AND from October 1 to December 31.
- No fishing within (downstream) 22.1 m of a dam, fishway or falls.
- Atlantic Salmon are closed to fishing in the entire Credit River ALL year. It is illegal to attempt to catch an Atlantic salmon. If you accidently catch one release it immediately. Atlantic salmon are protected under the Endangered Species Act and violators are subject to substantial fines and imprisonment
Atlantic Salmon – Catch & Release
- Single point, barbless, non organic, NO KILL for Brook, Rainbow and Brown Trout: Upstream from Old Baseline Road in Caledon in the Region of Peel.
Other species available:
- Smallmouth Bass : Open 4th Saturday in June to November 30.
- Brook trout : 4th Saturday in April to September 30.
- Lake trout : January 1 to September 30.
- Lake Sturgeon : Closed all year (endangered).
Please respect private property. There are many sections of the river open to the public and many private sections. The two major sanctuaries were enacted due to trespassing.
Limits (The daily limit is also the possession limit)
Pacific salmon (Coho and Chinook) 5 (sport), 2 (Conservation), combined with trout limit.
Rainbow and Brown Trout 2 (sport), 1 (conservation), 0 in no kill areas.
Bass 6 (sport), 2 (conservation).